Call for Volunteers
We’re calling for volunteers to help in the 23rd International Biology Olympiad to be held in Singapore from 8 July to 15 July 2012. We warmly invite interested individuals to step forward to contribute to this unique annual event that brings young people from all over the world to meet in celebration and friendly competition to be the best in biology.
We are looking for friendly, responsible, and committed volunteers to act as:
- Student guides (to assist the student participants aged between 16-18 staying in NUS), and
- Jury guides (to assist the accompanying adult team members/coaches staying in NTU)
What’s in it for you
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get to know hundreds of the brightest young people, as well as educators and academics, from all over the world – from Azerbaijan to Mexico, Japan to Sweden. You will be involved in a memorable tradition that celebrates not only biology, but also cultural diversity, solidarity, friendship and the Olympic spirit. The success of IBO 2012 depends on its volunteers, so you will have an integral role to play!
Accommodation in NUS/NTU and meals will be provided for all volunteers during this event.
What’s expected of you
In general, your duties would involve:
- Accompanying the IBO 2012 teams/ jury members/ guests for the duration of the Olympiad from 7 July 2012 to 15 July 2012. Helpers are also expected to stay at their respective venues of responsibility, that is, either NUS or NTU.
- Introducing and highlighting Singapore’s culture to our guests, as well as creating a welcoming social environment. Training and materials will be provided.
- Assisting with the daily schedules, communications, exam security, and general affairs of the teams/ jury members. This includes accompanying them on visits to different attractions in Singapore.
- Participating in the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the IBO.
- Pre-event preparations, including setup of designated venues and preparation of gift bags.
All volunteers will be required to attend three full days of pre-event training and rehearsals at the National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University and/or the National University of Singapore. Therefore, a 13-day commitment within 2 to 15 July 2012 is expected.
Please feel free to direct any questions that you have to email@example.com
How to Sign-up
Please register your interest. Suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview.